Monday, April 30, 2012

Exercise - Fun with Shuffle

I hope y'all had a great weekend!  Monday is almost through and while I was at work this morning, I had an idea for a fun and lighthearted writing activity.

As I stated in the title, this one has to do with putting your media player of choice on shuffle.  If you fear the song titles that may come up in your library, Pandora works great as well.  Using only the song titles, you must create a story and use that song title in the paragraph.  Could be dialog, could be explaining the environment, whatever you want to do.  I recommend at least 6-11 song titles (one for the title of your story, 5-10 for the actual telling) to get a fun story, but do as much as you want!  I'd love to see what any of you come up with, so please comment or e-mail me and let me know how it turned out!  I'll put what the song title is and who sings it if you get the urge to check any of them out.  Here it goes...

-----

"Little Boxes" (by The Decemberists)

Billy closes the flaps on his last cardboard box and stood up with a great sigh.  Looking around the small bedroom, a shimmering of tears starts to cloud his eyes.
"Billy, are you okay?  Did you finish packing yet?  The moving men want to finish before his rain hits."
An older woman, Billy's mother, swishes into the room with her customary floor-length skirts, her hair a large frizz of gray and auburn.
"Everything is alright, Mom.  Just taking a few minutes to say goodbye."  He rubs his eyes like he's tired, but his mother knows. better.  (Everything is Alright by Motion City Soundtrack)

His mother gives him a bear hug, squeezing Billy's ribcage until it feels like it might burst.
"Come on, Billy.  Let's move this last box together."
Holding one side of the bottom each, both manuever through the small apartment, the living room a clash of the past three decades.  Burnt orange, custard yellow and moldy brown mingle with pastel pinks and blues.
As Billy and his mother put the last box outside, the moving men pick it up, practically throwing it in and shutting the door.
"Another one bites the dust boys."  The largest of the movers say, spitting out some chewing tabacoo on the cracked sidewalk.  "Let's get this puppy to the university."  (Another One Bites the Dust by Queen)

Billy turns to his mom as the truck speeds away through the complex, almost hitting a faded blue Ford pickup parked near the entrance.  At that same moment a messy girl of about eleven runs from behind the building, clothes and face smeared with dirt.
"Don't leave yet Billy!!  I have to get my hug!!!"  She slams into the older boy, almost knocking him on the concrete.
"Slow down, sister!  You're gonna hurt someone."  Billy ruffles the girl's hair, and gives her a hug, lifting her in the air and spinning.  "I'm going to miss you Gracie.  You need to look after Mom while I'm at college."  (Slow Down Sister by Lady Antebellum)

A small pout splits Gracie's lips as she nods solemnly and hugs Billy's legs.
"And Mom, try not to get lost in the everyday combat at the hospital.  I know you tend to go overboard."
His mom gives Billy a raised eyebrow and a chuckle.  "Aren't I the one that is supposed to be telling you what to do?"
Billy smiles as a dented red coupe pulls up, his friend Trevor in the driver's seat.  (Everyday Combat by Lostprophets)

Billy quickly hugs his Mom and Gracie one last time, promising to call as soon as he reaches his dorms.  Yes, he will do laundry every week, and no, he won't waste his time partying and drinking.
"Gotta love that goodbye speech, Bill."  Trevor smirks as he drives away, winding through the backroads to get to the interstate.
"Yeah, its a weird feeling though, leaving like this.  I thought I would be..."
"Excited to get the hell outta Dodge?" Trevor laughs and pats Billy's arm.  "It's a brand new day, man, and we have the world in front of us.  You'll be back before you know it."  (Brand New Day from Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog)

-----

Alright, I kept this one short, and I can definitely tell it's very rough.  I have to admit I'm not very good at the "touching moments" scenes, so I thought this would be a good chance to flex those muscles as well as try the new exercise.  Now if you try this, it's going to be rough and it won't feel like a smooth work of art, but it is a good way to strain your imagination and think on your feet, as well as try some genres or scenes that you have trouble with.  And the best part is every time you do this exercise, it's a different story!

As always, let me know what you think in the comments.  I'll be back tomorrow with some links to good reference materials for writing as well as a website that is having an open submission period beginning tomorrow.  Godspeed and have a good night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!

My photo
Hey everyone, and thanks for stopping at my small corner of the internet. I'm a budding writer, so I will be using this space to put useful writing links and tips, posting writing exercises, and any other thing that piques my interest. Hope you enjoy! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook: Twitter: @bczubinski, Pinterest: bczubinski, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/brandon.czubinski