Friday, April 27, 2012

Three Things For The Weekend

Hello again guys and gals!  Every Friday I'm gonna bring you three things to check out for the weekend.  It'll be books, movies, videos, music, etc.  Whatever strikes my fancy and I think you'll enjoy as well.

First, I want to thank Alison for showing me this awesome YouTube video.  Lovey-Dovey is a video by t-ara (or T-ARA on some websites), a South Korean music group.  It's a bit long, being a little over 20 minutes, but regardless of if you know the language or not, it's a beautiful video telling a compelling tale.  I felt daunted the first time I watched it, feeling that 20 minutes was far too long, but before I knew it, it was over.  The music is constantly shifting genres and it's just interesting and I highly recommend at least one viewing!

Second, whether your interests lie in writing, mythology, psychology or sociology, I highly recommend this book called "45 Master Characters" by Victoria Schmidt.  The link goes to the Amazon.com website where they have it for FAR cheaper than I paid for it.  It goes over the common archetypes of characters found throughout mythology and older tales that survive in modern literature and entertainment.  It definitely goes along with Joseph Campbell's study of mythology and how all characters and people are some sort of archetype. (I'll get on that subject on another post, but he was an amazing and insightful scholar you all should check out).  This was a book I scoured when I first purchased and through the years found it a solid reference when I wanted to get an idea on how a character should flesh out and feel more real.

Finally, I wanted to share some of my favorite music with all of you.  I'm sure most of you have heard of Death Cab for Cutie, and if you haven't you are truly missing out!  Their latest album "Codes and Keys" is another excellent album, their seventh studio album delivers just like all of the previous ones.  The link leads to Amazon.com to purchase the actual CD (because to me they are worth the extra bucks to support), but you can also check out your iTunes for not only this album but everything else they've done as well.  The lyrics are very poetic and fit the music expertly.  This album seems more piano heavy than the ones previous, or maybe their lacking other instruments that seemed to stand out previously (I do not pretend to know music, nor do I have the fancy lingo down to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about).  Either way, I've found that no matter where I was driving, whether to work, going home, going to get groceries, whatever, the songs seemed to go with whatever I was doing and the music felt "right," for lack of a more musically inclined response.

So those are my three for you all.  As I stated previously, I will be doing this every Friday.  Definitely check them out and let me know what you think in the comments section!  Godspeed and have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!

My photo
Hey everyone, and thanks for stopping at my small corner of the internet. I'm a budding writer, so I will be using this space to put useful writing links and tips, posting writing exercises, and any other thing that piques my interest. Hope you enjoy! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook: Twitter: @bczubinski, Pinterest: bczubinski, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/brandon.czubinski