Monday, September 17, 2012

Time Flies Right Out of the Window




Hey everyone, and welcome back!  Forgive me and my lack of blogging lately.  I checked recently to find it has been over a month since my last post.  I hadn't realized so much time has passed since then!

First up a little update on my life here on the Gulf Coast:
-Most of my computer time logged these past five weeks has been writing on my novel.  I'm proud to say that I'm nearing completion, and my goal of having it finished before the holiday season will actually happen!  I'm really excited to see this one through.  If I haven't mentioned it at any length before,  it is science fiction adventure tale of the dark secrets of this metropolis and how one average man gets wrapped into it and tries to do the right thing while staying alive.  Taking place in a dystopian metropolis with hints at a future earth where today has been lost in legend.  Every time I sit down and write it I get lost for a few hours and then have to force myself to sleep.  After I do some major editing I will post a little teaser here for you all to enjoy!

- Next up, on top of taking care of my daughter,working, writing and the other numerous things that seem to pile up on any given day, I've found I was accepted to the MBA program at the University of Florida!  I huge honor, I had almost forgotten about applying in the first place.  This was back when I graduated with my bachelors and was just putting feelers out since I had no idea what I was doing with my life post-college.  I have some hurdles to jump through to make sure this dream comes to fruition, but I know I can do it.  Unfortunately the time constraints of everything will put a hamper on my writing time, but a writer will always find time for his passion, right?

Now, to share some of the writing/reading/gaming things that I enjoy when I get the chance.

First up, I'd like to introduce you all to a fantastic author I've been reading for years.  I began reading Carol Berg back in college.  Even with all the studying, I found time to read a novel or two.  I started with her duology called The Lighthouse Duet.  Mrs. Berg has a fantastic grip on world-building (one of my all-time favorite writer skills I hope to cultivate one day) and manages to create whole new worlds with their own unique belief systems and laws of magic.  Just fantastic.  Anyways, I moved on and got into some heavy science fiction for a while, but when I came back for some solid fantasy, I found her newest series The Collegia Magica and was immediately hooked.  This new world tickles the brain into thinking of Italy or France, and the lore and laws of magic are unlike anything I've ever read.  My only real complaint is that she does not pick the greatest covers for her novels.  This is exactly what they mean by not judging a book by its cover!  Now I'm going back to her earlier work with The Books of the Rai-Kirah.  I'm currently on book two of the trilogy, and I can't put them down.  I won't go on too much longer, but if you go to any of the links above, they have synopses of the books so you can see if they are up your alley!

Secondly, I wanted to spread the word on the announcement of Dragon Age III: Inquisition.  In my previous blog I talked at length about the series, so you can imagine how excited I was to find out about this!  It won't be released until late next year, but I will be keeping my ear to the ground for any and all details on this well-crafted game series.

Alright, that's going to do it for me for now.  I will do my best to post the promised writing exercise/short story in the near future.  Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter as well: @bczubinski.  Thanks for checking in and I hope y'all have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!

My photo
Hey everyone, and thanks for stopping at my small corner of the internet. I'm a budding writer, so I will be using this space to put useful writing links and tips, posting writing exercises, and any other thing that piques my interest. Hope you enjoy! You can also follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook: Twitter: @bczubinski, Pinterest: bczubinski, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/brandon.czubinski